Most manufacturers, small and large, have been providing end products to consumers, which require a set of processes that include the manufacturing and assembly of various components. Due to the high demand for products, producers must reduce product cycle time to ensure they can fulfill the order on time. Outsourcing CNC machining parts to specific companies is the most popular practice for prototypes and low-volume production.
What is CNC machining?
CNC machining is a concept that is often associated with manufacturing and industrial environments. CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. CNC machining is a subtractive manufacturing process that usually uses computerized controls and machine tools to extract layers of material from a stock piece, called the workpiece to create a custom-designed component. This process works with multiple materials, including metals, wood, plastics, foam, glass, and composites. It is applied in several industries, including high-volume production, short-run production, prototypes, etc., which require higher tolerances than other components.
What are the main stages of CNC machining?
Although the CNC machining process has a wide range of capabilities and procedures, the basic principles of the process are essentially the same. The stages of basic CNC machining are as follows:
· CAD model design: CNC machining begins with a 2D drawing or 3D solid component CAD design provided by the customer. Designers and manufacturers may use computer-aided design (CAD) software to create a model or representation of their parts and products and the technical requirements to manufacture the product component, such as geometries and dimensions.
· CAD file conversion: A digital programming code is generated from the formatted CAD design file, usually by computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software, which controls the machining parts and manipulates the tooling.
· Setting up machines: Preparation work for production must be completed before the user runs the CNC software. Attaching the necessary tooling, such as end mills and drill bits, to the appropriate machine parts is an example of these preparations. The operator will start the CNC program once the set up completes.
· CNC execution: The CNC software functions as a set of instructions for the CNC system; it sends machine commands to the integrated computer, which controls the tooling. The software prompts the tools to start the CNC machining process, and it also commands the machine through the process as it performs the required machine operations to create a custom-designed component or product.
What are the types of CNC machining operations?
This section studies some of the most popular mechanical CNC machining activities, including milling, turning, and drilling.
· CNC Milling: Milling is a machining method that removes material from a workpiece by rotating multi-point cutting equipment. The workpieces are usually fed to the cutting tool in the same direction as the rotation of the cutting tool in CNC milling. While in manual milling, the workpiece is fed in the opposite direction.
· CNC Turning: Turning is a CNC machining procedure that removes material from a spinning workpiece using single-point cutting methods. To manufacture cylindrical parts with external and internal features such as tapers, holes, and threads, the machine, naturally a CNC lathe machine, feed the cutting tool in a linear motion along the surface of the rotating workpiece. Boring, grooving, facing, thread cutting, and grooving are all skills of the turning operation.
· CNC Drilling: It is a machining method that produces cylindrical holes in a workpiece using multi-point drill bits. In CNC drilling, the rotating drill bit is fed perpendicularly to the plane of the workpiece's surface, which creates holes vertically aligned with diameters equivalent to the diameter of the drill bit used in the drilling process.
Where to go for an order?
You may have a tough time finding companies that provide high-quality, low-cost CNC machining parts services. Please visit X Rapid Technologies if you have a new or current project that needs a new approach and CNC machining solutions. You can depend on our specialists that are trustworthy and the best in the industry.