CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. A CNC mockup gives you a realistic look and feel, even if it is scaled down to a small size.
When you are working on a project that can benefit from a prototype, you can consider using a CNC mockup. As a company providing prototyping services since 2017, X Rapid Technologies has found CNC machining to be one of the best ways to create a prototype. It goes without saying, there are other ways of creating a prototype, and these other methods may be more suited for specific materials or design types. However, a CNC mockup is usually well-suited for creating a highly accurate model.
What is a CNC mockup?
CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. Using CNC, you can automate the control of machining tools with the help of a computer. A written code controls the machinery to carry out three-dimensional cutting. The machine can use 3, 4, or 5 axes to simultaneously remove material from the workpiece until the required shape takes form. It is why it is known as one of the subtractive manufacturing technologies.
In order to use this method for prototyping, we enter details of the model in the machinery, which identifies the desired cuts to achieve the geometries of the model. The code programmed for controlling the machinery is crucial to creating a CNC mockup because the code tells the machine how to perform the cutting tasks.
· We begin by using a 2D or a 3D drawing.
· Then the drawing is coded into the system to execute the cutting task.
· A trial run is carried out to guarantee the coding is accurate.
· Then the prototype is created on the desired material.
· In the final step, we finish the product using material-specific finishing techniques like polishing, sandblasting, and deburring.
What are the advantages of creating a CNC mockup over other prototyping techniques?
Some of the advantages of a CNC mockup are:
· Accuracy – A big advantage of using CNC is the accuracy with which a prototype is produced. Whether you are looking for an appearance model of your product or a functional prototype, using a CNC mockup gives you a realistic look and feel of the product, even if it is scaled to a smaller size.
· Creates complex designs – The complexity of a design is easily incorporated using CNC machine programming. Since CNC is a subtractive manufacturing technology, it can be used for creating complex designs and highly detailed prototypes. We have used this method to make prototypes for automotive, consumer electronics, home appliances, medical devices, kitchen products, and sports equipment.
· Higher safety – Automation of the machines takes away the human involvement with machinery and equipment that can pose safety hazards. We simply create the codes and let the computer take over the control of the machines. This way we can reduce safety concerns for our team.
· Works well for different materials – A CNC mockup can be machined using a variety of materials. We have used different materials like metal alloys and plastics for creating prototypes using CNC machining.
Why choose X Rapid Technologies for the CNC mockup?
X Rapid Technologies has over 10 years of experience in CNC machining. A CNC mockup created by us will be highly accurate and detailed. We can even finish the mockups using a lot of surface treatment options to make them resemble the product as closely as possible. Our team has lots of CNC machinists. Some of them have more than a decade of experience.
Quality is one area where we don’t make any compromises at all. We always ensure that the CNC mockup we create uses raw materials of good quality and is designed with high accuracy. It is one reason why many of our clients use our services again and again.